We finally made it to starting Chemo. I thought that this would never come. Every time we were to start it seemed like something got in the way. We came on Wednesday and started all her drugs that night. This time Brooklyn was to get three drugs with a second dose of one the next day. Because of drugs in her system they have to pump her full of fluids to make sure that everything gets moved through quick enough and not staying in her body. Well, after her last surgery there was a pocket up fluid building up on the back of her head. Her neurosurgeon said it was okay as long as it doesn't leak. With the amount of fluids they were pumping into her the pocket of fluid swelled considerably. So the oncology department called the neurosurgery and her doctor came and thought that we could do a temporary drain. They can do it either at the top of her head or on her spine (like a spinal tap). They opted for her spine so they didn't make another site for infection with her head still healing from the surgery. They had to put her under and do it in an OR because she got chemo and they needed the most sterile environment. That was put in on Friday. It started to drain a considerable amount but they checked today and it still isn't enough. There is still fluid built up in the back of her head. We were told today not to expect to go home any time soon and she could potentially need a permanent shunt. I feel a little ripped off. I was told we were only going to be here two days tops. I think they tricked me. Brooklyn is doing really good and understands everything that is going on so she is being so big and brave. Her nausea passed pretty good and we were able to keep it under control for the most part. The biggest problem we are having right now is she has mouth sores from the chemo. I was told it was like a cold sore only twenty times worse and in your mouth. They have some rinses that help but she still won't eat. We will keep our fingers crossed. I will keep updating our blog so everybody knows whats going on.
Sunday, June 19, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
You and your sweet Brooklyn will be in my prayers this week! I hope all goes well and you are able to go home soon.
so sorry. let us know if we can do anything to help out. brookie is in our prayers every night.
I know that we've never actually met in person, but please know that your family is in my prayers! We love you!!!
We are thinking about you and praying for you all!
Let us know if we can watch Porter or help in any other way. We are rooting for you, brave girl!
you are all brave! we love you and are constantly praying for you guys!
Post a Comment